Saturday, April 18, 2009

Devastating


When we received the call from Jon last night that Mom and Dad's house was on fire we thought it would just be some small kitchen grease fire.

It wasn't until we rounded the corner and saw three fire trucks, five ambulances, numerous cop cars and the entire neighborhood gathered around the front of the house that we knew things were really serious. When I saw the smoke damage on the whole of the house I couldn't keep the tears in. You run searching frantically for the people you love, hoping they're ok.

But even looking at the front of the house you can't tell how serious things are. You walk around to the back of the house where the fire started and that's when things start to get ugly. The propane tank blew up and caught the whole back porch on fire.

As you walk through the house and see all the damage it's hard to not think of all you lost.

It's also hard to not be grateful for all you didn't. All of the family and pets were safe and really, that's what counts.

You never think it's going to be you or someone you love. And then it is. And it just....is.





We take pictures of things that are sad so that one day you can look back and say, "Wow we made it through that. Maybe with even a few disguised blessings along the way." We're so grateful that everyone was safe. We're so grateful for neighbors and friends that gathered around offering any help that they could. And we're especially grateful for our Father in Heaven that's there to guide us through all the ups and downs of life.

13 comments:

Tiff George said...

Oh my heck! My heart goes out to you guys right now. Jessie - you don't know me, but I lived 2 houses down from the Oberg's for many many years and was good friends with both Aimee and Darin. I met you briefly last summer when you lived at your in-laws while your house was being built. Anyway, I saw this on the news and knew right away it was the Oberg's house, and I am shocked over this, too. Know that there are many people who are thinking of you guys and who are praying for your family right now. I, too, am so glad to hear no one was hurt - this devastating situation could have been so much worse, and I know Heavenly Father was watching out for you guys. Keep your chin up, and please let me know if I can do ANYTHING for you or your family. -Tiff (Campbell) George

Lindsey said...

I am just sick to my stomach looking at those pictures. What a horrible loss for Wayne and Lori. How lucky that no one was hurt. We will definitely be praying for them!

Kally said...

Hey Darrin, how have you been? I couldn't believe this when I saw it. So many memories of the good old days came flying back. We did everything at your house, and here it is being burnt up. I'm so glad no one was hurt. How have you been? I am living in St. George with my wife and 3 kids. Life is crazy. You should check out our blog sometime. It's Jokakakoju.blogspot.com
You guys are looking great, we should keep in touch a little more, and not just when tragedy strikes. Hopefully your parents will have somewhere to stay for a while.

Kally said...

P.S. This is Joel Campbell, I forgot my wifes name is on the blog.

Cardwell said...

I'm so sorry for you guys and Darin's parents! What a scary thing to happen! I'm so glad to hear that everyone is ok and safe. We will keep your family in our prayers!

ATH79 said...

I'm so sad to hear that this happened. I can't imagine what they are going through. I am just glad to hear that everyone is ok, that is the most important part.

Heidi Madsen said...

This is so sad. The pictures look pretty nasty. I really am so sorry. All of you are definitely in my thoughts and prayers! Good luck with everything and please let me know if we can do ANYTHING to help! Love you :)

Janeen said...

Wow. That's so sad. Life is so unexpected! I hope they are doing okay, and things get back to normal as soon as it is possible!!

Brenda Campbell Hansen said...

I'm so sorry for yours and your parents loss! What a scary tragedy. I'm so glad to hear that no one was injured. I am one of Chad and Verlayne Campbell's daughters. I lived with them for about a year 2 houses down. I love your family! You are all in my thoughts and prayers!

The Diabetic Diet said...

Oh my word Jess. I can't tell you how sorry i am. My stupid computer didn't upload your pictures, but just from your words i know its probably bad. I'm so sorry jessica. It really is sad how much we take for grantid! I'm glad you posted this, it was a good reminder:). I wish you guys the best and you'll be in our thoughts and prayers.

Anonymous said...

umm, sorry...i forgot i was on that website-its melissa...

RIndi said...

Oh my gosh that is TERRIBLE! I'm so sorry! What an awful thing to have to experience! They're in our prayers! I'm so glad everyone was safe!

Jonathan and Kiri said...

Oh goodness! I am so sorry! That is just awful. I'm so glad everyone was okay. What a blessing everything that was ruined can be replaced right? We will definitely be praying for your family.